Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Where's the fire?

I have to say, Milan Fashion Week hasn’t exactly started out with a bang. Just Cavalli was a bit too much for my taste, the flamingos weren’t working for me. Pringle of Scotland just didn’t pop. The whole show felt moody and mundane. Moschino Cheap & Chic was all over the place, there wasn’t a cohesive theme or idea. Just more or less, a variety of different pieces but nothing really fit together. Jil Sander’s was a disappointment. I have to agree with the Sarah Mower over at Style.com, what was up with the pants? They didn’t fit right, they were wrinkled, bunched up in the crotch, and just wrong. Giorgio Armani was a bit over done and D&G took over done to the next level, otherwise known as just plain stupid. The plaid was ugly, seriously, ugly.

Needless to say, I have yet to have a “wow” moment, though I did come close with Alberta Ferretti. The collection was pretty. Yes, I mean pretty. The simple embellishments around the necklines and slight bits of volume attracted just the right amount of attention. And the solid color dresses in dark jewel tones were striking. Some of the dresses were draped, some cinched at the waist, but all were understated beauties.

Though I must note, the models were nasty skinny. I’m not interested in seeing Nicole Richie walk the runway. The clothes would have looked better if the models gained 10 pounds.

No comments: